Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Update part 2 - Endometrial cancer

Both my doctor & Brookwood had an availability in 2 days, so we took it. Joseph & I both got everything squared away with work & we went in in Friday, August 10th. This time, I was just going to have another d&c to remove the spot. My parents came up again and were able to sit with Joseph. Luckily recovery was much easier this time and I wasnt in nearly as much pain as in January. Because of January's results I didnt even give the biopsy results a 2nd glance. We scheduled my post-op appointment and were going to get everything going again before we went on vacation.
On Wednesday, August 15th, Joseph took my to work because he had thought my brakes were squealing & he wanted to replace them before we went to Ft. Morgan. He texted me mid-day and told me that when he went in to look at it, everything looked great & nothing needed to be done. Great! He came that afternoon to pick me up and we headed home. Right as we were almost off the interstate I recieved a call from Malizias office. I assumed it was verification for my appointment the next day, and I answered.
However, it was actually Dr. Malizia. My heart stopped because she had never been the one to call me before. I dont remember how the conversation began, but basically she said that my biopsy results came back & it didnt look good. Best case, they thought I had hyperplasia but the pathologist was almost certain that I had endometrial cancer. She told me that my sample was going to be sent to Harvard, and we would have results sometime in the next week. We canceled my appointment for the next day & hung up. I had to fill Joseph in ( because I stupidly didnt think to put it on speaker phone!) We both were crying & drove home. We prayed once we got inside & decided we needed to go see my parents. I called my dad once we got closer (so that he would be able to give mom a heads up). He was at a work function but left immediately.
We got there and I sat down by my mom and just cried as I told her that they thought I had cancer. I do not remember much about the conversation,  just that it was good we went because my mom & dad had a way of making us feel better always.
Over the next few days we waited. We told family & a few friends, but I wasn't ready for everyone to know until we recieved confirmation. The days went by so slow. I cried a lot and if I wasn't crying I was numb. I had no idea what this meant for our chances of having biological children. I didnt know anything other than we were just waiting
Monday, August 20th, I had gotten back to my office around 7:45 & my phone rang. It was Malizias office. My heart sunk. I knew an early phone call wasnt good. I closed my door & answered. It was my doctor. She said the pathologist at Harvard confirmed that yes I did have grade 1 endometrial cancer. She filled me in on what was coming up & what to expect from the oncologist. We hung up, & I immediately called Joseph. I basically told him it was cancer and to get to work as fast as possible. I then called my mom and stayed on the phone with her until he arrived. The next 2 hours were hectic. I bad to wait for my papers to be faxed,  I had to place a lunch order for work,  & I had to tell my boss. But finally we were able to leave. Joseph wanted to go on a run so I went to my parents & to my surprise, dad had come home for a bit. I visited with them for awhile & we made a plan for them to go with us to the oncologist the next day.
More to come in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment